Andy Best is the CEO of the Civic Digital Network (CDN), a non-profit organization working to create national data infrastructure.
CDN’s mission is to give the public sector the tools to meet the challenges of the coming century. How do you enable responsible economic activity in the current digital era? What is the government’s proper role to facilitate, regulate and legislate to create the maximum social and economic public and private good.
During this conversation, we discuss:
- What are Intangible Assets, the Intangible Economy – and why leaders should care about them?
- How do you approach Policy around Public Data Institutions, without making them too restrictive which can have negative impacts on private sector innovation?
- Why Policy Makers must look at Intangible Assets (such as software and data) very differently than Tangible Assets (roads and bridges).
- How to ensure the Right Controls are put in place for Public Data Utility programs?
- Why taking a Use Case Lens in the deployment of Public Infrastructure programs is the only approach.
- How Municipalities who adopt the right public data programs can increase the prosperity of their citizens.
- Why Government should view standards as part of their regulatory frameworks.
Note that although this conversation is mostly framed around Canadian context, the key fundamental frameworks discussed are applicable across various democratic systems.